Monday, February 23, 2009

Ideas on the Uses of a Liberal Education

Edmundson’s essay “On the Uses of a Liberal Education,” evokes a lot of different emotions within me. I am with the grain on some of his ideas and I am seriously opposed to others. His essay begins with his discussion on teacher evaluations. I believe that his argument is true. The fact that students would like easier classes and nicer professors is true. I also do understand that many teachers are worried about what their student reviews may say. I believe students to like to “enjoy” the course but that does not mean students cannot “enjoy” a challenging course (5).
His next argument is that the liberal arts education has become ineffective due to American culture. I understand and agree with the fact that American’s have become consumer based. I do not necessarily think this is a flaw of our generation. In today’s day and age, we are given many choices and all students do take advantage of the options they have. He also blames a lot of the problems with our generation on the television. I agree that many idolize TV characters, and have the “buy in order to be” mentality (15). Students do conform to dress an example being North Face jackets or Ugg boots throughout any college campus in America. An article that appeared in the Howard Journal of Communications entitled “Television Viewing and Ethnic Stereotypes: Do College Students Form Stereotypical Perceptions of Ethnic Groups as a Result of Heavy Television Consumption?,” shows that the TV does indeed affect the mentality of college students. This article proves with data that heavy viewers of television exhibit more negative stereotypes (pg. 101). This study clearly backs Edmundson’s theory that TV has an impact on the lives of college students. I also agree with the fact that the number of humanities majors has declined. There is no way to dispute this, I do understand this but it is also true that because of increasing technology and demand for business majors, these numbers have grown as well.
Even though he blames many of the problems in our education system on the students, he does attribute some problems to the professors and parents. Professors that are afraid to correct students just because of the awkward moment that may ensue should not be professors. It is the job of the professor to teach and enlighten the student regardless of the confrontation that may occur. I do not think students get angry as long as the teacher does not embarrass the student a simple and polite correction is fine under any circumstance. He also blames the admissions advisors for having a “servile attitude with students (41). This is necessary in order to attract students. With changing technology, comes new amenities and luxuries at college. These are a part of the consumer culture but I do not feel that these items interfere with education.
Where I disagree with Edmundson is when he says that students lack passion and fire. I disagree with this idea and I know that I along with the majority of students in my classes have a thirst for knowledge. Maybe students are subdued in class and do not want to be looked at as odd. I am sure no one wants to be seen as an outcast, but learning and having a normal conversation in class is certainly not frowned upon. I also disagree with the fact that students are too conforming and depressed. I feel in no way that our nation is depressed (23). I think students these days are much more involved and there are many ways students are able to get involved in many more ways that they used to. There are a variety of clubs and groups, where students can express their individuality.
Towards the end he encourages teachers to step outsides the box. I agree that it makes the class more interesting when the teacher changes their style or introduces a new lesson. However, I do not think our education system is faulty or ineffective. Hopefully professors and adults realize that our generation still does have passion and a strong desire to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment